PACU Nurse New
HCA- Centerpoint Ambulatory Surgery Center Website
At HCA, It's You, It's Me, It's All of Us®
PRN PACU Nurse
Centerpoint Ambulatory Surgery Center is a member of the Ambulatory Surgery Division of HCA that operates and jointly owns with physicians 130+ surgery centers nationally. As an organization HCA has been named in Fortune Magazine’s list of World’s Most Admired Companies in the Health Care Medical Facilities Industry and named a World’s Most Ethical Company by the Ethisphere Institute for the seventh consecutive year.
Centerpoint Ambulatory Surgery Center offers a comfortable, safe, patient centered work environment where staff are recognized and rewarded for their effort in providing excellent care through a variety of means. This is an opportunity for a caring, highly skilled nursing professional to join our team.
The surgery center provides same day surgery services in many specialties including, Orthopedics, Urology, Gynecology, General Surgery, Ophthalmology, Cosmetic Surgery, Gastroenterology and Pain Management. Centerpoint provides these services using some of the most advanced and state of the art equipment. The center is made up of four operating rooms, three procedure rooms and a large privacy conscious pre and post-operative area. These areas are designed and appointed with the patient, families, physicians and staff in mind from the pediatric waiting room to the rich comfortable tones throughout the building.
- Wednesday Nights, 6PM-6:30AM- NO WEEKEDS- NO CALL
- Competitive, commensurate base pay plus evening and night differentials
GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
Contributes to the care of the patient by utilizing the nursing process in planning, executing, and evaluating the nursing care rendered postoperatively until patient is dismissed from the facility
OPERATIONAL DUTIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Demonstrates necessary practical, technical, or specialized skills required for the role of the post-operative nurse in accordance with patient care and regulatory standards of practice.
- Prepares patient care area adequately and ensures availability of necessary equipment and supplies.
- Demonstrates proper airway management techniques (oral airway, extubation, pulse oximetry monitoring, O2 administration, etc.)
- Demonstrates understanding of principles of hemodynamic monitoring and monitors patient according to policy (vital signs, temperature, cardiac, etc.).
- Recognizes signs and symptoms of patient’s condition that indicate potential post procedure or anesthesia related complications.
- Monitors and maintains proper intravenous intake and output.
- Exhibits proper technique for insertion, maintenance, and removal of IV catheters and saline locks.
- Performs head to toe assessment of patient and evaluates patient utilizing approved scoring system upon admission and as indicated by policy.
- Documents patient assessment upon admission.
- Checks dressings and operative site and reports abnormalities to the surgeon.
- Provides a safe and comforting environment for patient and family while restraining patient for safety reasons, as needed and in accordance with facility policy.
- Prepares and administers medications in accordance with current practice (i.e. antibiotics, narcotics, preparing/labeling medications, identifying high alert medications, utilizing 7 patient rights for medication administration and appropriate handling of narcotic waste).
- Demonstrates thorough understanding of medications utilized intra and post operatively and recognizes the need for use of reversal drugs, when necessary.
- Recognizes emergency situations and responds effectively in a calm and controlled manner.
- Prepares patient for transfer to hospital when necessary.
- Assures that patient meets all discharge criteria.
- Patient is evaluated by a physician/anesthesia provider prior to discharge.
- Written discharge order is received from the attending physician prior to patient discharge.
- Patient is discharged home with a responsible adult, unless otherwise approved by physician.
- Confirms that patient and family receives and verbalizes understanding of written discharge instructions.
- Documents all appropriate patient information in accordance with charting guidelines.
- Takes responsibility for careful and accurate handling and/or logging of narcotics.
- Utilizes appropriate body mechanics in moving patients and stretchers to prevent injury to patient and self.
- Complies with principles of hand hygiene, aseptic and sterile technique.
- Demonstrates knowledge related to maintenance and cleanliness of instruments and equipment. Maintains a sanitary environment for the provision of patient care.
- Appropriately handles the disposal of biohazardous materials.
- Restocks area daily, using appropriate par levels and daily stock sheets.
- Spends appropriate time and energy on tasks and assignments based on the policies that are supportive of the Center’s goals and objectives.
- Functions independently according to job responsibilities and within scope of practice utilizing current standards of care.
- Takes personal initiative to maintain current RN licensure, BCLS and ACLS (if indicated) and other professional certifications current as defined by job role.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of peri-operative care standards and post-anesthesia techniques.
- Demonstrates attention to detail by ensuring that all documentation is legible, complete, accurate, and factual.
- Knowledge of organizational policies, procedures, systems, and objectives.
- Maintains advance knowledge of advances in peri-operative field of nursing.
- Has knowledge of patient rights and strives to improve patient outcomes by respecting each patient’s cultural, psychosocial, and spiritual values.
- Knowledge of applicable regulatory, compliance, and accreditation standards and requirements.
Graduate from an accredited school of professional nursing.
- Minimum 2 years of Med Surg. experience
- Additional specialty experience may be required as per facility practices(i.e. Pediatric, GI, etc)
- Active RN license as required by state of employment.
- Required valid BCLS Certification upon employment. ***online certification not acceptable.
- ACLS strongly preferred